Friday 17 October 2014

Number one (part four Cycle Sport and Procycling)

The next two first editions that I have are Cycle Sport and Procycling magazines which of course are still running today. 

Cycle Sport featured at that stage two time Tour de France winner Big Mig, Miguel Indurain on the cover 


Young guys and older guys became regular contributors over the earlier editions of Cycle Sport - left to right Chris Boardman, Allan Peiper, Robert Millar, and mountain biker Ned Overend.  They probably dropped mtb from the magazine within the first year.


Check out the technology from over 20 years ago.  Whatever happened to Softride?  Used to see a fair amount of them in ironmans and triathlons from that era ... And the early stages of electric gear systems.


I think Steve Bauer's bike as below must have been damaged in transit ... more photos from a GB-MG Boys Bianchi from the 1993 Paris Roubaix.


The first edition of Procycling magazine I found just checking out the newsgency in my days at uni, and outside of a few issues where I was in Nepal doing my volunteering, I have them all.  The late Marco Pantani features on the front cover.


Remember this advert?  Cipo as 'Bikeman' ... I didn't as I wasnt looking at him! In the next Procycling edition, there were were a couple of things that were 'censored' from this ad ... 


Editorial of the first Procycling magazine from April 1999.


Comment from then UCI President Hein Verbruggen in regard to the war on doping before a certain rider won (and then lost) seven Tour De Frances in a row.


Next time:  I have my software that reads words from photos (technical term is Optical Character Reading or OCR) so I will test it out and hope to bring you some older articles and stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment